Tuesday 22 September 2009

Hand Quilting !


We had our sewing day on Saturday and I used my new basting gun to get my 3D hexagon quilt ready for hand quilting. What I did was quickly pin the 3 layers together and then used the microstitch. Took a bit longer to do than I thought but no hurry. And ever since I have been hand quilting away. The little tacks do not get in the way at all and I am really enjoying quilting this. Honestly I could sit all day doing this - if only . . .




The other ladies in the group were quite interested in this and a couple of them may be investing in one themselves. It seems we all hate basting generally.


Besides this I have finished a couple of smaller items. My quilt group has a small exhibition coming up and we all make a cushion for a raffle. I used up some of the little blocks I made from those hundreds of squares I cut for the quilt I didn't make !! Here it is - turned out well enough.




And I got a little top quilted that has been hanging around for a while. These were leftovers from something else too. This will probably go to Project Linus.




Click for a better look. Do you see a member of our family here ? This is Gizmo and he is a leopard gecko. He is about 6 years old now and belongs to Jess. Having said that guess who cleans and feeds him ? Always ends up to mum. . . . The cats are not allowed in Jess's room at all but they know he is in there in his tank. Occasionally if the door is left open for a minute they sneak in and make a beeline for him. When he moves he makes a scuffling noise on his special sand and then the cats scarper - lol ! They are such babies ...


Here he is again. I never thought I would be able to handle him but he is a sweet little thing and always licks my hand and occasionally even nods off when I stroke his head.



And a nice bit of post today -




Great start to the day. I have jarred my back a little so think a bit more hand quilting is in order - yesterday I had the choice of cleaning or quilting. I made the wrong choice it seems as I was hoovering up the stairs and overstretched and felt my back "go" - knew I should have sewn instead - lol..


Jess and her boyfriend Danny have been away for 5 days to Disneyland Paris and are due back today - looking forward to hearing their adventures. The trip was a present from Danny for her 19th birthday. I have started his quilt but am having a bit of a fabric issue - photos soon.


One last thing my cousin Sarah has just launched a quilty Chat room through her blog. Great idea - spread the word !
Take care xx

18 comments:

Unknown said...

My son has a leopard gecko too! Yours looks quite large. Our cats are not allowed in his room either. Well you know why. I don't think I would be as brave as you to hold him.

loulee said...

You've been a busy bee. That cushion looks great.
Please don't mind me asking, but do you get your Aussie P&Q by subscription, if so where from? I always feel like I only just got mine when the Aussies and Kiwis are showing off the next ones!

heather said...

Leopard geckos are so sweet. He looks great on the quilt.

Elsie Montgomery said...

What an interesting post! You have been busy, and the results are very nice. Like the gecko too.

Comfort Cove Designs said...

I have seen geckos and they are cute, but I think I will stick to my spoiled rotten pooch Alexi!!!

I was just admiring your patchwork quilt and cushion and they are just gorgeous!!!

I hope your back is in ship shape again soon and you can get back to doing more beautiful work!!!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Anonymous said...

I love your pinwheel cushion and your hexagon quilt, I am not sure I like the gecko though, grin

Teresa said...

The hexagon quilt is great Andrea!
Where did you find the template?

I'm not sure what our cat, DJ, would think of the gecko though

Teresa

Unknown said...

I love, love your hexies, the quilting is so great.

Meggie said...

I love coming here & seeing your quilting activities. Lovely.
How cute is that Lizard, I love him!

Sheila said...

Andrea you have such beautiful handquilting technique! Love the hexagon quilt. Are we seeing tacks in this pic, too?

Winona said...

Andrea, I love your hexagon quilt. Yep, I could spend the day hand quilting on a beauty like that. LOL Your other projects are lovely too. You are braver than I am. I can hold our grandkids' pet rats, but not a gecko or lizard. I kind of have a phobia about them. LOL Keep up the good work. Winona

Libby said...

Definitely thought the gecko was part of the quilt at first...goes great with the border! What fun :)

Fiber Happy said...

The quilting looks lovely on your scrappy hexagon quilt. I love scrappy quilts. That is a big gecko. I'm glad he/she is very sweet. We have lots of them where I live, but none that big.
Happy stitching!

Fabricmom said...

What a neat pet. Never seen one like that. Very interesting.

Julia said...

too creepy for me!! No way would you get me to touch that thing. Oh please, don't let Ethan want something like! EEP!!! :~)

julieQ said...

Love the hand quilting, it adds so much.

~Bren~ said...

Your hand quilting is INCREDIBLE!!! Gorgeous!!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the photo of the hand quilting....so soothing. However, the photo of the creature has quite the opposite effect :)