Sunday 19 July 2009

A little break

Just to let you know I will be absent for a while. My lovely Patrick went into hospital this week for surgery - nothing too major but a big deal for a 12 year old. Although the operation went well he is in a lot of pain and keeping me busy. He is on the mend though and being a good lad !
He wore Karol-Anns cap to go into hospital as he said he was having a bad hair day - I told him that was the least of his troubles that day ;-0.

DH Jason came with us as one of us had to be with Patrick as he was anaethetised. As I am a bit emotional to say the least Jason had agreed to do it as I didn't want Patrick to see me blubbing just before he went to sleep. The day before however Jason had tripped whilst out walking and as we were waiting for Patrick to go to the operating theatre I noticed Jason was wincing and could tell he was in pain. So I told him he had better go to get it checked out in case it was broken. So off he limped to Accident and Emergency department and I went with Patrick. I held it together til his eyes shut after the anaesthetic injection but then I was off. The nurse gave me a hug and said most parents have a weep at this point - quite upsetting seeing their child being put to sleep. Anyway after the longest hour of my life I was paged and went to recovery room to see him. All was fine and he was discharged 5 hours later.

He is uncomfortable but not complaining. We have a nurse coming to check him tomorrow but everything seems to be healing nicely. He has holed up in our lounge and is sleeping on the sofa as he is unable to climb up his high-sleeper bed. He has his quilts I made him and says he is having good sleeps at night.

Turned out Jason has badly torn ligaments and tissue damage. And what with me and my crappy shoulder it's like a doctors waiting room here - lol !

Will be back soon - I am managing a little quilting and trying to keep up with blog reading although probably not doing a lot of commenting. Bye for now xxx

27 comments:

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Wow! Your plate is full, as we say in the US. Hope everyone heals properly and blogging can wait.

Gail said...

Sorry to hear hubby and son are feeling poorly, bet they're keeping you hopping! Take care, quilt more!

Ali Honey said...

Sending healing vibes your way! Sounds like you could have a competietion in your house who gets better first!

I too think the cap is cool! He looks delightful in it.

Hugs from NZ.

Beth said...

Just ONE of those problems would hae my family in a tailspin! I will be praying you all heal quickly.

Gene Black said...

Take care, love. Your family and yourself come first.
My prayers are with you and yours.

Carolyn said...

I'm glad surgery went well and he's mending. My 14 year old daughter is going in for ACL surgery on the 27th and I'm not looking forward to it...I don't know that I could sit by as they put her to sleep! You're a good mom. My prayers are going out to all of you.

Tina said...

wishing patrick a speedy recovery, glad all went well with the surgery.

Unknown said...

Thank goodness for the NHS - you're certainly getting your money's worth at the moment. Wishing all three of you a speedy recovery - and be gentle on yourself Andrea - take a few moments each day to think about you or you'll struggle to look after the two men in your house

loulee said...

Best wishes to everyone.

Libby said...

Sounds like you have some nursing to do! I hope they both continue to improve - take care of yourself, too!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Prayers for speedy recoveries and peace of heart through this stressful time!

Jeanne said...

My goodness! Sending prayers for fast healing and hope you're all in better health very soon.

Happy Quilting said...

Your posts reflect a really positive outlook on life, Andrea - and I'm sure that has everything to do with why it is such a joy to read what is new with you and your family. So sorry to hear all of the medical problems you're experiencing. I hope you all heal quickly and stay comfortable in the mean time. Best wishes to you all!

sewkalico said...

You know I am thinking of you all!

Floss said...

Best wishes to you all, and a speedy recovery.

*karendianne. said...

Andrea my heart reaches out to you filled with support. I'm at your side in Spirit. Not a spooky Spirit though... I'm not a creepy quilty-friend.

I'm not a mother so I can only imagine what you describe. I do believe being a Mum is for the Strong and Courageous, the TRULY strong and courageous.

I'm kinda whimpy. :) Much love, *karendianne.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Oh, my hope all are on the mend... and you don't get too worn out. Speedy recoveries and hope you can get a little respite when they do.

Teresa said...

Glad to hear all went well, and prayers said for a good recovery.

Sally said...

Sorry to hear all is not well in your household, but at least you have the summer hols to get sorted and hopefully back to normal.

Unknown said...

I hope he is getting better and will recover SOON.

Meggie said...

Give Patrick a hug from me! Hope he is well on the mend.
I remember having to farewell two of my children for minor surgeries, but it was traumatic for me, each time!
Hope your DH is feeling better, & sending some healing vibes for all of you!XX

Quilter Kathy said...

Best wishes to Patrick...hope his recovery is going well.

Sarah said...

Oh Andrea! Your family is in the 'wars'! I do hope you are all on the mend very soon
xxxxxxxxxxxx

julieQ said...

I am so sorry...hope everyone is healing up well, and emotion is totally OK in this situation! I would be a blubbering idiot!

Helen in the UK said...

Hope Patrick in on the mend by now :)

Latane Barton said...

Hope Patrick continues to feel better. Being in the hospital is no fun for anyone, let alone a 12 year old.

Anonymous said...

I hope that all is well very quickly.

Moving back to Bahrain, will catch up with you when we have got the internet sorted out.

Take care all of you