Saturday 28 March 2009

Another weekend !



Mum's quilt got finished about an hour or so before I gave it to her and she loved it. All through the making of this I kept saying I wasn't sure how it would turn out as it just seemed like green overload. I would say that green is not my favourite colour at all. However having said that when I came to choose binding fabric I had yardage of 39 different green fabrics to work from - lol ! After all that I decided to use some cream marble fabric for the binding and I like how it worked. Once the quilt was finished I realised this quilt had grown on me and although it is not something I would make for myself I found I didn't dislike it at all. Here it is with actual applique borders ( I do NOT normally do applique !! ) I sneaked in a few mustard coloured yo-yo's although Mum had said no other colour but green and cream thankyou !




Glad that's out of the way. I did very well myself on Mothers day as Jess bought me some great presents - the star one being a fabulous PINK iron. Very trendy and the best iron I have ever owned. She was sick of me moaning that my old iron never seemed to get hot enough. I have tried it out and it is wonderful - I may even iron some clothes with it at some point instead of just using it for quilting - lol ! I also had a lovely new sewing chair this week as the very creaky, cronky old thing I was using finally died. One minute I was on the chair and the next I was on the floor. Now I could perhaps do with losing a couple of pounds but really . . . . My new one is very comfy and I anticipate many happy hours of parking my bum on it and sewing away.


Another finish this week was the cross-stitch picture I've been doing. I could feel my interest wavering a little and as I didn't want this to get shoved in a cupboard half-done I continued whilst ignoring some lovely new fabric I recently bought.



I have just had a marathon cutting out session and also tidied my fabric drawers so next week I intend to give my new chair and iron a good work-out.


And of course one of my little friends always has to come and inspect proceedings.
Loads more to say but time has caught up with me again. See you soon !

36 comments:

Jude said...

Well done for sticking at it and completing those 2 projects... My enthusiasm wavers far too often.I've got 3 quilts and a crochet blanket mid make...oh! and most of a knitted teddy!!!

loulee said...

Your mums quilt looks stunning. Well done you.

Betsy said...

Andrea your mom's quilt is absolutely fabulous. You did an excellent job.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't say that green was my favourite colour either but you've done a lovely job on your mum's quilt - it looks fresh and crisp and I love the applique design

Quilter Kathy said...

I knew you could get it done on time! And you took it right to the wire!

Chookyblue...... said...

what a lovely quilt........I am sure your mum will love it.........

Calidore said...

Ohhhh Mum's quilt is stunning and those yo yos don't stand out at all...vbg. Love the cross stitch and the friend is so cute. Have a lovely day and well done for getting so much done.

Gail said...

Beautiful quilt, everything you post is gorgeous! The cross-stitch is lovely as well. What will you do with it? Frame, cushion, or quiltlet?

Laura Jane said...

What a lovely job you have done on both items. I'm sure your Mum won't even NOTICE the mustard yo-yos.

The stitchery is also lovely, DO frame it and hang it in your sewing room as a monument to persistence.

simplestitches said...

Hi,
your Mum's quilt is stunning! Well done for sticking at completing your projects....wish I had the same motivation at the moment....seem to jump from one thing to another...with no finishes!
cheers Julz

Vicki W said...

I think the quilt looks great!

Unknown said...

The quilt turned out GREAT.

Jeanne said...

Great work on the quilt for you mom. It turned out fabulous. I love your cross stitch finish, too. That piece was one of the first projects I posted about when I began my blog. Great minds think alike.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your mom's quilt turned out AWESOME! I just love how it turned out. I bet she loved it too!

Libby said...

No wonder the green quilt has grown on you...it's so dynamic. You really did a great job with the green and cream request!

Anne Ida said...

The quilt you made for your Mum is wonderful, Andrea! No wonder she loved it!

Qubie said...

I love both these quilt. Really like the green one. Green is my color.

Anne Heidi said...

I really like the green quilt, you did a wonderful job! And the cross stitch picture is adorable!

Unknown said...

Your mum's quilt is lovely Andrea. Wow a new iron and a chair, will your family ever see you again? *s*

Teresa said...

Gosh...where to start? I think the green quilt is very nice and how appropriate to finish it in March - the beginning of Spring and also the home month for St Patrick's Day. Well Done!

Now that stitchery is just beautiful. I am like you though, towards the end of a project like that, I get tired of working on it - but I know you are very pleased that you finished as it is beautiful!

Nothing like a neat and tidy sewing area to inspire you to sit and sew, and a new iron and chair - why that is frosting on the cake. What kind of iron is it?

Rose Marie said...

The green quilt turned out lovely! It would be hard for me to do just a green quilt, too. There would be blues in there for me.

Your stitchery is sweet. Darn, I have a cross stitch that has been sitting in a frame for 20+ years. Perhaps one day, it will get finished. Boredome stalls me and I go onto something else.

Aren't those feline inspectors the greatest to have around?

Anonymous said...

Well done on getting the quilt finished in time. It looks great, and the green is lovely. Its not too much. The cross stitch looks great. Look forward to pics in the next post.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is gorgeous, and that little bit of color the yo-yos added is great, maybe she wont notice they aren't cream!:-)))

Chantal said...

It's a very nice quilt . I like also the crossstitch picture . Is it a pattern that you made by yourself ? I would love to make one for myself.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That is a stunning quilt, the green really zips!1
I loved the crosstitch though, well worth working through and finishing, well done,. tracey

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Well done Andrea, that is just fantastic...

Julia said...

ROFLOL!! You have brought a much needed smile to my face this morning. I could just picture you taking a tumble from you chair. What a surprise that must have been. :~)

Lynda said...

The cream binding is perfect - it allows the quilt to speak for itself - beautifully!

julieQ said...

Your quilt is stunningly beautiful. Love the way you framed the blocks. All your projects in the works are shaping up so nicely!

meggie said...

Your mother's quilt is lovely.
I cannot get enthused with cross stitch. I have a little kit, I must give away, as I know I will never get it done.
As usual you have been very industrious!

Dionne said...

Love those quilts! It looks fabulous!
Cheers,
Dionne

Chocolate Cat said...

Your Mums quilt is gorgeous. How stylish are you with a pink iron!!! Think we need a photo. You are good to finish that crossstitch - what restraint!

Lady of the Cloth said...

Your Mom's quilt is beautiful and I'm not a green fan either. It's funny how things turn out when you step out of the comfort corner. It seems like when I get a request for a certain color quilt, I balk a bit. I'd rather just make a quilt and give it away, than fill a request. My own rebellion, I guess.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I absolutely love the colors on this quilt. And, I like your cross stitch too!

sb said...

Your cross stitched quilter brought back memories. I did the same design in 1989 and made it into a pillow with a black ruffle. That was shortly before I abandoned cross stitch in favor of quilting, but I still enjoy using the pillow.
Sarah in California

Quiltsmiles said...

Andrea,
Love the counted cross stitchery you finished. What is the pattern or where did you find it? I would love to make a stitch box for a friend and this design would be perfect to fit nicely on the top of a wooden box holding her threads, scissors, etc...
Happy Holidays,
Jane