Wednesday 29 October 2008

Small quilts.


First of all do you remember that batik quilt I made for my friend Jacqui's birthday ? Well she phoned me on my birthday last week full of aplogies for not letting me know earlier that she had received it. She is a TV producer and has such a busy life it makes my head hurt so I told her it was fine. Anyway she absolutely loved the quilt so much etc. She opened my parcel as well as her other presents during a dinner party - she said she cried so much that some of her guests started crying too - lol ! Wish I'd been a fly on the wall !

She can't post my present apparently but will bring it to me in person in the next few weeks but in the meantime she sent me these as a sort of birthday present but not - lol ! Beautiful. If you click on the picture for a close-up please avert your eyes from the dust - must do that !!



Anyway Kate and I had arranged a little swap in honour of our 40th birthdays - hers is next month. Here's what I sent




and here's what I received.





Now Kate couldn't have chosen better colours for me as blue and yellow is my favourite colour combination. The fabrics are SO lovely and the quiting is brilliant. I love it and it was a great swap. Are you on for another for our 50th birthdays Kate ??


I've also finished my little quilt for ALQS round 2. I need to label this and get it off asap. It has a LONG way to travel. I will be sad to see it go.




Here is a close-up of the quilting.



I was a bit unsure about what colour thread to use and was dead brave and went with blue instead of playing it safe with white. I like how it came out. It is hand-quilted except for the borders.


Here's my new quilty notice board I recently bought. All sorts of bits and bobs on there. Some I have plans for and some I don't.




Next post I will show you something I'm doing that I'm not enjoying. I want to do other stuff but this is weighing heavy on my shoulders - it needs to be done. All will be revealed - sorry can't help teasing a bit.

See you soon.

28 comments:

Julia said...

I love the little swap quilts! The blue and white that you made is so pretty, very good for winter. The yellow and blue would look great in your bedroom, it matches the quilt in your banner.

Good Luck on doing the something you don't want to do!lary

*karendianne. said...

Gosh, there's lots of yummers here. I'm going to have to come back again just to take it all in.

Fun and Candy Love, *karendianne.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow what lovely treats...love the two quilts (the one from Kate) and the one for your ALQS swap...very pretty!

Granny Simplicity said...

What beautiful little quilts! It has been a long time since I have seen the small quilts. Very inspiring! I will have to put that on my list as something to start making myself. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Vicki W said...

All 3 of the swap quilts are lovely. You and Kate both did very well!

Floss said...

Love all the little quilts. I am happy that your friend loved her quilt. It's so nice when quilts go to a good home.

Bonnie said...

I love the mini you made for Kate. Did you have a pattern or just made it yourself. I would love to make one for my collection.

loulee said...

Wow, beautiful little quilts.
Happy Birthday.

Idaho Quilter said...

Just did a search for Blue & Yellow quilts, yours came up. I said to myself, "Self you know her". Our quilt groups is doing a mystery quilt, I want to do B & Y. so hence the search. Also wanted to say Hi.

Brenda said...

Both of the swap quilts are beautiful. I am especially in awe of your brilliant hand quilting! Hope that your project is not such a burden and you enjoy it more today as you work on it.

Pat said...

What beautiful little quilts. And...as for the dust by the flowers, wouldn't you know that was the only photo I could not click and enlarge?? So....you are safe with your dust!!! (I have plenty here, too!!!) Your hand-quilting is outstanding.

Teresa said...

Lots of beauty in your pictures. Happy Birthday to you!

Carolyn said...

I love the blue and white quilt and the hand quilting is exquisite. You did a great job. All the other little quilts are lovely too...what fun!

Ali Honey said...

3 lovely little quilts there and beautiful flowers. I really appreciate your even lovely hand quilting. I hope you Birthday went well. You don't feel any different at all do you....it was just another number.

Kate North said...

Sure, why not - remind me in about 9 1/2 years, won't you? LOL.

~Bren~ said...

Your hand quilting is wonderful!!! The blue thread was a good choice!
The swap quilts are both fantastic. I was in awe of the blocks on the one you made. Very nice!
Great post!!

meggie said...

Lovely quilty goodies!!
All so nice.

Anonymous said...

I watched Katy quilt that over the weekend, can't believe you have it already!! I love both of your quilts!!

Unknown said...

Your little quilts are beautiful, especially the first one.

Karen said...

The blue & white quilt is my favorite! I think it is a very soothing color combination. Lots of little pieces on that one.

Anonymous said...

what lovely quilts. indeed the yellow one does match your banner.
it must be halloween; click or trick, your picture won't enlarge so you're alright for dust....

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

So many beautiful quilts here! I didn't see any dust Andrea because the picture didn't enlarge when I clicked on it ;-) but the others did.

Lorraine said...

I love the little quilts....mine is ready to be sent ....just have to add a couple of things to the parcel...I had better get cracking with it!

Quilter Kathy said...

All of the quilts are spectacular! Bravo! My favorite is the one you sent to Kate...is it paper pieced??

Chocolate Cat said...

Think I would have trouble letting the little blue and white quilt go too!! It's gorgeous.

Margeeth said...

Your ALQS-quilt looks really pretty. I hope it arrives safely at its destination and your partner will like it.

Angela said...

What beautiful quilts!

Jude said...

You have been tagged!!