Friday 11 April 2008

Lovely hearts !


Thanks to Anne I am now the proud owner of this


We had a little swap - this very pretty quilt for some fabric. Great swap - I love it. I am now getting quite a collection of mini quilts. I have a three I made myself. My winter 4seasons quilt from Emily. A blog prize from Dawn and now this one. I am also doing the spring 4seasons swap and another that Kate is organising. Such fun !! I am going to have to come up with a proper way to display all these. The walls by my sewing table have a sort of hessian type wallpaper and at the moment some of the quilts are just pinned on in the corners. Not ideal - I will have to get my thinking cap on.




Talking of mini quilts here was the block that was supposed to be the start of my spring swap. The plan was to do a sort of medallion quilt. I've had it pinned in front of me for a few weeks and it just isn't doing it for me. SO onto plan B. . . .



This was inspired by an antique quilt shown by Wendy and I absolutely loved it. At some point I would like to make a full-sized version but for now this will do. I have cut enough 30's strips to make another of these to keep for myself but I will concentrate on this first. I am going to put an applique border on this. Now applique is not my thing. I love it but have never really mastered the knack of needleturn which is what I would really love to do. I will have a try and if it all goes horribly wrong I will do some machine applique instead. The little blocks are just about 2 inches finished.


This week in my effort to finish off ( or at least make some progress on ) some older projects I have dug out my blue hexagons. I have not shown this as yet.. It is definitely a long term project as I started it ages ago. I have been doing a bit in the evenings between finishing supper and going to pick up various family members from work - 2 learner drivers in the family. It is coming along but will not be finished anytime soon. I am in no rush.




Here is Kasper making himself comfy in the basket I had just emptied as I decide where to put my next row of hexagons.
There is a sneak peak in the background. I will show some pictures when there is a little more progress.
I have also been making some little scrappy blocks but haven't took pictures yet. Bad blogger.
There is a quilting roadshow tomorrow quite near my home ( about 35 miles ) and I am debating whether to go or not. It is a big fabric sale by Doughtys . I am trying not to buy too much lately as my drawers are too full to close but I might miss out on the bargain of the year - lol ! I will sleep on it :-)
have a lovely weekend. I plan lots of sewing as my housework is all done. . . . . .

18 comments:

Chocolate Cat said...

Kasper is very cute in the basket!

jovaliquilts said...

So nice you got the heart quilt! I love watching them being made, and now to see it on another blog!

Your little rail fence blocks are very cute in that quilt.

country mouse said...

What great little quilts! Looks like you are keeping busy. Have fun if you decide to go to the quilt show, and as for the fabric...well...no harm in preparing for future projects, right? lol Hope your weekend is wonderful :cD

Floss said...

How cute are the mini quilts, I really love the plaid hearts. The basket is the perfect cat size.

Unknown said...

I like what I can see of your hexagons flowers and that 30´s little quilt is beautiful.

andsewtosleep said...

Hi Andrea
I love plan B - I have a fondness for 30's repro fabrics and they look really lovely in your quilt. I know what you mean about needle turn applique. I have a love hate relationship with it. I have just opened an e-mail from Doughtys - and have placed an order. Just couldn't resist!! Enjoy if you do go tomorrow.
Mary

julieQ said...

I love your heart quilt giftie!! I know who made that one without an explanation. Your mini quilts are precious!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Can't wait to see the finished hex project.

Sarah Nopp said...

Oh! Your medaliion has inspired me! I have been trying to figure out what to do for the next round of the Robin I am doing. Little Tulips all around!
Thanks

Pam said...

I am very far behind in my blogging. I am sorry that the woman liked the quilt - it really was a keeper :))) It is such a lovely quilt I can't imagine anyone not loving it!!

Very cute little heart quilt.

meggie said...

I came to your blog from Anne's & there was her sweet quilt! How pretty it is. I love the photo of Kasper in the basket- they are so funny aren't they! My little Honey dog, just loved the Gratitudes Quilt I made for my friend, & every time it came out, she came to snuggle. Luckily my friend is very fond of Honey!

loulee said...

Oooh! You got one of Annes heart quilts. They are so pretty.
Kasper is a cutie too.

Your rail fence blocks look good, good luck with the needle turning, it does look so neat doesn't it.

Jan said...

Love all your mini quilts--glad you got the hearts one!! Kasper is so cute in the basket!

Marilyn Robertson said...

Your Spring Swap quilt is going to be sooooo cute! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the borders!

*karendianne. said...

Lovely post! I love the little swap quilt - how cute. Of course I have to say I really really love how you turned that project around into a little rail fence. WAY TO GO.

The blue hexagons are totally fun. I can't wait for more of those.

And nothing like kitties in the basket to love, *karendianne.

May Kristin said...

Lucky you!
Your little spring 4 seasons swap quilt is promising!
Hmm,may be I should dig out my hexagons too... They've been packed away for a loooong time!

Clare said...

Anne sent me a lovely red and white one in exchange for fabric. I love it.

Cheryl said...

Lucky you to have that heart quilt.
I also copied a picture of that antique rail fence. Can't wait to make one of my own. Cute picture of your Kasper. He looks right at home in that basket!