Thursday 8 November 2007

A bit of focus is called for...


I recently signed up for Donna's Secret Santa Christmas Swap and have been wracking my brains for a while as to what I could make. Inspiration was a bit low - several ideas were thought about but later abandoned. Anyway with the deadline looming I was thinking I'd best get my act together. We need to have our gift posted by Dec 1st so this week I really wanted to be decisive. Off to my enormous pile of magazines I went for ideas. The good news is I now definitely know what I'm making and I'm really excited about it. In fact I'm going to make 2 and keep one for myself - lol !! The bad news is I got side-tracked and have started another project. Before you all shout at me for my lack of self-control let me exonerate myself by explaining this will be a Christmas present. For my ds Patrick who really, really wants a quillow. Anne is busy making some for gifts and whilst reading her post it reminded me that Patrick has been asking for one for months. Ever since I explained to him what they were. By the way his little party was a big success and he declared it the best birthday ever..

In the British P&Q magazine from a couple of years back I found a pattern for a starburst quillow. Patrick loves stars and indeed has a quilt called Patricks Starry Night on his bed at the moment. Don't think I've shown that one yet. So I've made a start. If this is successful - I've never made a quillow before - I may make more for gifts. Then again -maybe not.

There are 2 blocks to this and hopefully depending on colour placement a wonderful secondary pattern will emerge. We'll see...




At the moment my sewing room is an absolute tip - it's like sewing in a war zone. If I was more focused and actually stopped myself from going from one thing to the next maybe I could pause for breath and do some tidying up. But where's the fun in that ! It's only ever me and Jason that use this room - I've very graciously allowed him a corner of my room for some of his computers - aren't I kind ? Occasionally he looks at my mountains of mess and mutters but that's as far as he goes so no matter...

I have also finished my paper pieced top that I started a few months back. I'm going to hand quilt this and it will go on my sofa as a throw. I'm planning to decorate in the new year and this will tie in with my new colour scheme. I absolutely loved making this and feel a little sad it is all done. As the pieces were not too small it grew really rapidly. I'm not ready to quilt this yet as I have another hand quilting project on the go and want to finish that first. I will leave the tacking and papers in for now until I'm ready. These pictures are not too clear as the light is going. They are clickable for a better view. The background fabric is a lovely creamy yellow with tiny stars.



I'm still working on my split flying geese border and hoping it will work. If not it's back to the drawing board - lol! And talking of flying geese in my magazine search I came across a wonderful flying geese quilt that I have just the right fabric for . . . . told you I needed to focus :-)




11 comments:

Floss said...

The colours on Patrick's quillow are great for a boy. He should be very happy to get this at Christmas.

I love the paper pieced top, the colours look great and the pattern is very stunning. This will look fabulous once you have done the quilting.

Vicki W said...

The paper-pieced top is just beautiful. I'm glad that I am not the only one that starts projects and gets side-tracked to others!

meggie said...

Looking so good!
And I love that one you are going to hand quilt, it almost moves as I watch it!

sewkalico said...

Lovely bits on the go - at least it keeps you out of mischief!!
The paper-pieced top has got me itching to try it... better look away (I, too am easily side-tracked!) Patrick's stars will look great, can't wait to see more!

mereth said...

I think your finish rate justifies another project or two.It's so nice being enthused over starting something new, nothing seems a chore and you don't have to force yourself to work on it as you do later when the gloss has worn off. Don't spoil the creative flow with guilt, I never do!
The castle wall top looks beautiful, it's an intriguing pattern and I love the border; hope the quilting goes well on it. And say belated happy birthday to Patrick too.

Kristie said...

I can't wait to see what you make for your Christmas Swap. I have the pattern for Quillows. I planned on making some for the kids, but along with everything else, they are on my list. I love your paper pieced top. That is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Kristie

Unknown said...

I am with Mereth, you are such a fast sewer and finishing one project after another it is ok that you begin on new ones. The handpieced quilt is going to be great.

Lynda said...

The stars look quite tricky but they should be fantastic together. I love quilts with secondary patterns, so looking forward to seeing this one finished.

swooze said...

I love your quilt. It turned out really great.

Jenni said...

Your paper pieced quilt looks great - makes me feel bad that I haven't finished my hexagons.. Love the Lady of the Lake too. You're doing some fantastic quilts at the moment.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I'm loving how this quillo may look! I can't wait to see the progress!