Monday 22 October 2007

It's my birthday and I'll.....

... start a new quilt if I want to. ( sing the tune of It's my party and I'll cry if I want to ) LOL !!

OK I haven't physically started this quilt but the fabrics and pattern have been chosen and I will get going this evening. Yes today is my birthday but we won't be going out tonight. We had a nice family meal out yesterday instead. If you've been reading my blog for a while you may remember these blocks




Well they're all joined up and I'm nearly done with the final border now so have been looking for my next hand work project. I spend a lot of time at the sewing machine - both with my quilts and my work ( curtains and such like ) so I do like to sit in the evenings and do some hand sewing.


Gail has been trying to tempt me into making a grandmothers flower garden quilt with some of my leftover 30's prints. I have ordered a template set but am going to have a break from English paper piecing for a while so I have something else in mind. I will show you a picture when I have done a couple of blocks.

Patrick asked me would I like a home made card or a bought one and of course I said home made. Here's what he came up with - click for a better look.




He is such a sweetie - shame they have to grow up and get all hormonal and teenagerish - lol !


Here he is with my DH Jason watching England in the Rugby world cup final on Saturday night. Technically speaking we are Welsh not English although we are all British. There is quite a bit of rivalry between the 4 countries that make up the British Isles but it's usually good natured. Of course we cheered on the English team on Saturday to no avail... I picked up the funny hats whilst out clothes shopping for Patrick. The bells on the points were lovely and jingly and drove my poor kitties mad - they all went to bed in disgust - lol !



A quick word for Bren - I think your prayers worked for us yesterday. I took Jason for a driving lesson and he did brilliantly until a young girl - who we suspect was talking on a mobile phone decided to take a right turn at a crossroads without looking - as we were crossing the junction straight on. Don't know what she was thinking but if Jason hadn't reacted as he did and put on the brakes she would have hit us well and truly. She mouthed " sorry" and drove off leaving Jason and I shocked and a bit shakey. It's the closest I've been to being involved in a crash in nearly 20 years of driving and it was only poor Jason's second time out in his car although he's had a few lessons from the official instructor. So glad he managed to brake in time. The ink's hardly dry on the insurance papers as we've only had the car a week.

One last thing - this is turning into a long post. I had a question about the instructions for the bucket bag. I can't reply personally as it was a no-reply but the lady wanted me to post the rest on the instructions. Well they are all on here - there are 4 posts in all I think following on from each other. Not sure of exact dates. Hope you find them ok.
Time to go - I may just make myself a birthday cake :-)








26 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
I think you should be allowed to do anything that's legal on your birthday. Starting a new quilt is DEFINATELY allowed :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Andrea. What a lovely card fro your handsome young man. Those sort of cards are the ones I treasure. Definately a good day to start a new quilt. Hope your day is filled with all those that you love.

Hedgehog said...

Happy Birthday! Lovely blocks you have there - and what a precious card!

Floss said...

Happy Birthday.
I think you should do what you want on your birthday, so if you want to start a new quilt and make yourself a birthday cake, then that is what you should do.
Have a great day.

Pink Icing said...

Happy Birthday!

Sorry to say....I always support the opposing team to the English!! All good natured you understand...well what do you expect from a Welsh woman that remembers the rugby heydays of the 70's????
Great Blog

Sue said...

Happy Birthday! Quilting sound like a wonderful way to spend a birthday...and have a little treat, too!

sewkalico said...

Happy Birthday Andrea! Hope you have many more... many more cards like that in years to come... many more quilts...!

Darcie said...

HAPPY HAPPY 39th!!! Such good company I'm in with you along board now! ;-) That card from Patrick is certainly a treasure to hold dear. Enjoy your cake!

Katherine said...

Happy Birthday! I love homemade cards too, and your son's is a real keeper. So sweet!
Have a wonderful day sewing.

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

Happy Birthday! I cheered for the English too and I'm not even British. Lovely home made card. Happy quilting and baking.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday dear Andrea, (well it is a bit after midnight so it is technically the 23rd). I hope you had a lovely day.

meggie said...

Happy Birthday!!!
Money could never buy that priceless birthday card from your son! It is adorable.
You should be very proud.
I was sorry to see England got beaten in the rugby. But hold on...I hate Rugby!

swooze said...

Happy Birthday! Loved the card and agree on the teenagerish thing. My DD just turned 13 on Sunday and is a full blown teen!

Glad there was no accident. People just do not think sometimes. I had a guy that thought I had wronged him in some way and flipped me off several times. Hmmmm....what the heck did I do?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Happy Birthday! And I can't wait to see those blocks all together and with the border. I"ve LOVED them from the minute You first showed them!

ldahospud said...

Happy, happy birthday! I hope your day was everything wonderful, as you deserve!

Mary said...

Happy Birthday Andrea! Lovely new start of a quilt too!

~Bren~ said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! What a wonderful card! I am so glad your close call, was just that. I hope after things calmed down, your son learned something...his instincts are GOOD!

Kristie said...

First off "Happy Birthday" from Kentucky, USA. I love your card, that is very sweet.

I think your blocks are beautiful. They will make a beautiful quilt. What are the blocks called????
Kristie

mereth said...

How spooky, our birthdays are the same, but 10 years apart! I knew we were on the same wavelength! Patrick's card is irreplaceable, much better than a Hallmark version. I've kept all my boy's cards, they still make me smile years later.
Two of mine never changed, all through their teenage years they were still kind and thoughtful and co-operative. They don't have to be a trial, just depends on personality and circumstances. And you stil love them no matter how much they annoy you. Enjoy starting the new quilt, best stage in my opinion....

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Happy belated birthday, don't you just love heartfelt home made cards!! Though I am very pleased he changed quitter to quilter, lol!!!
The previous post quilt looks fantastic, i am hopeless, can't see the humiltiy block so i wouldn't worry about it, Tracey

Ali Honey said...

I do hope you had a happy quilty Birthday, Andrea.

Well done Jason!

Jeanne said...

Andrea, I hope you enjoyed a wonderful birthday! The card that Patrick made for you is just adorable, so much nicer than a store bought card. The hats are very cute even if the cats didn't like them. I look forward to seeing your new quilt. Happy Belated Birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday belated! Your DS made a really lovely card, lucky you. I am curious to see what the stars over paper will look like when sewed together. Scrappy, just lovely. Take care.

Quilter Kathy said...

Happy Birthday! And what a wonderful card you received from your son...wow!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a lovely day!

Not Lucy said...

Happy Birthday! (even if it is a week late!) Your special day is also my oldest daughter's birthday. She turned 25 this year! Good for you to start a new project on your birthday! Too bad you have to make your own birthday cake - that usually happens for me too!