Thursday 28 June 2007

Another WIP !






I quite like hand-quilting and I usually have a project on the go for when I feel like doing some. One day I would love to own my own long arm quilter but for now it is not an option !! Space and finances are holding me back ! So it's either hand quilting or machine quilting on my domestic sewing machine. For big quilts it's usually hand quilting as wrestling a large quilt through my Janome drives me mad and gives me aches in places I never knew I had !!!



My current hand quilting project is this one. I must admit Ilove scrappy quilts more than anything and this one was made purely to use up some of my scrap drawer ! It's been a WIP for a while - thats why it's fairly creased. It's been folded up on my shelves patiently waiting for some attention ! Soon -I promise.



I told Wendy of http://snippetsofaquilter.blogspot.com/ I would post a picture as she has just made a quilt top in the same design. She was unsure of the blocks name and I think with some help discovered it was Arbor Window. That's what as I believed it was called as it was named in EQ5.



I am quilting this very simply - a quarter inch from the seam lines and I like how it's looking.. I am using wool batting for the first time with this and am very impressed. It's really smooth to quilt through and is lovely and snuggly. I have given loads of my quilts away but I think I will keep this one.



Talking of UFO's and WIP's have you heard of this one ? - - a PHD - stands for Project Half Done - lol ! This came to me courtesy of a friend of a friend. I think it's a good one personally. Sounds good to tell people you are busy working on a PHD - that will get them thinking !!!!

14 comments:

Vicki W said...

Andrea, that's a beautiful quilt! I've never heard of PHD but must remember it for future reference. LOL!

Unknown said...

Lovely quilt and I am working on several (thousand) PHD's at present - how intellectual does that make me????

Pam said...

Very pretty quilt. I also usually hand quilt all my quilt because I enjoy the hand quilting and I did one large quilt on my machine - that was more work than hand quilting!!

I love PHD -- I must be working on 20 PHD's at present - LOL

I am working hard on the bag today. I really like the handles. They turned out really nice and so easy to turn!!

Diana said...

Andrea, that is a beautiful quilt! Alas, I am also working on several PHD's, and the list keeps growing...

swooze said...

Very pretty. THe quilting is making it really stand out.

Darlene said...

Beautiful quilt. I have a very strong desire to learn how to handquilt but I can't seem to get started. Guess I just need to jump in and enjoy the process. True? Any hints?

Floss said...

Love the colour, the hand quilting looks great.
I kept thinking it would be nice to do more handwork, but I'm not very good at it, but if I practice I might get better.

Jenni said...

Well Andrea, thanks for letting me know how well educated I am. I have lots of PHDs! I wish I had the skill to hand quilt - I suppose it takes lots of practice mainly.

Jo Raines said...

I love your scrappy quilt--I love scrappy's, too and thank you for the bucket bag tutorial. I printed it out to make one.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I LOVE this quilt. The colors are wonderful.

Quilts And Pieces said...

It is wonderful! I love the way the quilting looks so far!

Wendy said...

Oh I love your Arbor Window quilt, and I really love how scrappy you made it. I'm working on lots of PHD's right now, thanks for sharing.

Patti said...

I like it! Maybe I'll rename all my flimsies PHD's. If figure when the top is together then it's half done LOL!

Thanks for leaving the comment on my blog - that's how I found you!

ann hubbard said...

I, too, like your quilt and I like the simplicity of the hand quilting, esp. with the 1/4" around the squares. Gives it a lovely old fashioned look which is missing in many quilts today.
I have a Janome 6500P and it has a nice bed for machine quilting. It is a lovely machine. It has been replaced by the 6600P but a used 6500P would not go amiss for you.
Ann from Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, USA