Saturday 23 June 2007

Bucket Tote Bag -Tutorial


Right then - here we go. I will do my best to explain how this is made but please feel free to ask any questions along the way.











1- choose your fabrics. The outside of the bag is completely composed of 3inch squares. The basic bag is made from 7 different fabrics but less can be used if you double up. i think once the method becomes clear you will see lots of possibilities. Completely scrappy would be good or maybe 2 colours. Anyway here are my fabrics.






From your chosen colours ( from top left moving across ) cut 3 inch squares in the following quantities.
20 squares of first colour - this will be the main colour.



4 squares of next one and then 8 squares of the other 5 fabrics.









Sew them together with usual quarter inch seam in the following order -












Then make three more identical panels. I find the easiest way to do this is to make one complete section first and then chain piece the rest - keeping an eye on the one that is done to make sure the order is correct.











Cut 4 pieces of wadding ( batting ) 6inches by 21 inches and place each panel on top of a piece of wadding. For my first bag I used a nice fairly stiff wadding and this worked great. I had no more of this left so for this bag I also placed a piece of cotton curtain lining fabric in between the wadding and the panel for a little extra support. Using your walking or even feed foot quilt in the seams on each panel. To make it easier and instead of stopping and starting sew further than the seams and move to the next one. These pieces will be trimmed anyway. Here is a picture to show what I mean.




Now trim the edges of wadding level with the panel. Each piece should measure 5.5 inches by 20.5 inches. Cut four pieces of fabric for lining the same size as your panels.

Any questions please ask - more later !

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks intriguing Andrea I'll keep watching :o)

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks for posting a tutorial! I may wait till it's all up to undertake the project.
Cheri

Pam said...

I started mine today :)) Thank you for posting the tutorial. I should be caught up to you by tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Andrea, Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Welcome to blogland! I've so enjoyed reading your new blog. Your quilts are lovely! Your Dear Jane quilts are incredible! Slowly I'm being seduced by the Dear Jane...abit scarey to even think of doing one though.

swooze said...

Can't wait to see how this goes! Thanks.

Wendy said...

Can't wait to see how the bag comes together...I'll keep watching before I start making it. Thanks for the tutorial!

YankeeQuilter said...

I'll go pull the fabrics tonight...love the look of the final bag!

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

I just completed my own bucket and love it. I have pictures on my blog if you want to see them. Thank you for posting such an excellent tutorial!!!!