Wednesday 20 June 2007

Quilters love bags !


Not an awful lot to show today ! I've made a few more DJ blocks and been altering some clothes for my mum. I also started the English paper pieced quilt from Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine that I showed a picture of a few posts ago. Will show pictures when I've got a bit more done. Just spent an hour cutting out the papers. I think theres 4 different shapes that all slot together. I use freezer paper for my shapes and just lightly iron it onto my fabric. I find it's so much easier when tacking round the edges as the fabric doesn't slide about. I've picked my fabrics - mainly fat quarters and also found a lovely fabric for the background. I am always on the look-out for good background fabrics !


A local quilting group had an exhibition yesterday so off I went to have a nosey ! I didn't take my camera as it was held in a church and I wasn't sure if photography was allowed. We have a lady who has her own fabric business and she was trading there. She doesn't have a shop but attends local guilds and area days and such like.. I found a great fabric but she only had half a yard with her. She explained that she had more at home but didn't have it for sale as a lot of her customers were making quilts with this fabric and she didn't want to run out before their quilts were done. Then she smiled and said that seeing as I was such a good customer of hers she would let me have some - yippee !! I went back today and she had a nice little 4 yard cut ready for me.. I've just washed it along with the other stuff I bought and I will iron it tomorrow.


As it turns out I could have taken my camera and I really wish I had as I fell in love with a wall-hanging on display there. I'm sure lots of you have heard of Dilys Fronks - she's written several books - mainly applique and her work is wonderful !! She only lives a few miles from me and was stewarding at the show. This wall-hanging of hers was superb - absolutely stunning ! The show is on for a couple more days so if I get the chance I may nip back armed with my camera this time.


I'm showing this photo of a bag I made a couple of weeks ago... I love this bag - it is so cleverly made - all from squares which you join together in a funny kind of way. It's really easy to make but looks more difficult than it is. It doesn't use an awful lot of fabric. I've seen it done in lots of colourways and they were all great. I want to make another of these and am thinking I may do it step by step on my blog and anyone who wants to can make one too. I wonder if anyone is interested ??

11 comments:

sewkalico said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, I will make a note of yours too. Bag sounds great, I'd love to see how you do/did it...

tami said...

I love the bag. Very good color choices. I would love to see how you do it.

Unknown said...

Ooh yes please - always up for a bag tutorial - it's so pretty in the colours you've chosen there but I have some gorgeous copper/bronze and gold fine batiks I've been saving for something - this might be just the project!

Jenni said...

Sure - one more thing for the UFO list!

YankeeQuilter said...

This bag reminds me of the chains we made at summer camp from the wrappers off of our chewing gum! A tutorial would be great! You can never have too many bags!

Kim West said...

I would love a tutorial as well!

Beth said...

Great Bag! I'm always looking for good bag patterns....Please do share how to make it :)

Pam said...

That is a lovely bag. It looks like it would be great to make with the charm squares. I would like to follow along with a step by step tutorial if you do one :))

I love LOVE love your 30's Dear Jane blocks!!

swooze said...

I love the bag. Is it your own pattern? It does look interesting!

Unknown said...

A bag tutorial would be great! I love bags and am always looking for a different pattern - this one is lovely!
Jeanette

Antonia Serrano said...

Precioso esos bolsos amiga, la felicito por su creatividad.