Sunday 10 June 2007

Dear Jane 1930's fabrics




OK - I dug out the Dear Jane quilt top and here it is. I think I am borderly challenged as I seem to get stuck as to what to do with the tops when it comes to borders. I have loads of 1930's fabrics left but am dithering where to go from here. I think maybe an applique border would set this off a treat but to be honest I haven't done a lot of applique and this would be a lot of work.. I have done a bit of machine applique and quite enjoyed it but I really love the look of needle-turned work. I have a bit of 1930's plain fabric in blue and green left over from another quilt ( which is still awaiting quilting !! ). I am really tempted to do a vine and leafy border on this.
This is why I really don't need to start any new quilts yet - I have loads to be getting on with...
I also have several others in various stages of completion including a wheel of fortune quilt in really gorgeous colours, A twisted sister quilt in black, white and red that was supposed to be a Christmas present for a friend last year......I'm sure there's other stuff lurking about - Oh yes and a rail fence quilt with a nine-patch on point border. Now that will be lovely when it's finished ! Is that when or if ???

10 comments:

Jeanne said...

Your 30s Jane is simply gorgeous! I love the hourglass blocks that separate them. An applique border would be gorgeous. I know a gal who did large, different colored scallops and that looked very pretty, too.

swooze said...

Wonderful quilt. I did a viny applique border on an early quilt and was surprised at how easy it turned out to be! I say go for it!

Chookyblue...... said...

this looks amazing and today I have now seen 2 DJ quilts and they are different and look fantastic......I have just found your blog today...very nice

Susan Freebery said...

Your Dear Jane quilts are marvelous! Absolutely gorgeous!

I enjoyed your blog. Thanks.

Rose Marie said...

I really like the colours in this version. They are softer visually! An applique border would certainly set it apart from all the other DJ out there.

Melanie said...

Love the Dear Jane! Your hourglass idea is fantastic and I may just "borrow" it from you! Love your blog!

Cathi said...

Ooooh...I like the setting for your DJ blocks. Very nice!

saphirz said...

You have done some beautiful work on your Dear Jane, the colors are just beautiful. That is something to be very proud of!

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great Dear Jane! Love the hourglass blocks. Please keep us posted on how you decide to finish it!!!

ann hubbard said...

Your dear Jane with the 30s is lovely.
How about a vine with a simple tulip shape and two small leaf shapes framing the bottom of the tulip. Not hard to do and you wouldn't have to do a tulip at each curve of the vine.
Something very simple would set off your blocks. Ann from Lake of the Ozarks, MO