Sunday 7 March 2010

Sunday Post


I am going to try and post every Sunday if I can - and hopefully anymore I can squeeze in.






Been doing a bit of this and that - lots of cross-stitch. I really want my Midnight Moggies picture done before I get fed up of it. I'm really enjoying it. Will show a progress picture soon.


I've been basting lots of part hexagons for my 3-colour quilt.




I plan to get most of these basted ready for some serious sewing action maybe during the summer when it's hot.


I have finished a top ready for quilting. Once this is done it will be a UFO off the list. It is here. Karol-Ann - you may recognise this border fabric ?





This picture is deceiving. Those blocks are just 2 inches. Yes - I've been using up my little scraps. These blocks originally were part of this





It is the country sampler BOM from Ellies Quilt place that I started last year. Got to June and stalled. I knew I would not ever get these done now so took out the little square in a square blocks and made some more to make this little mini-quilt. I like it and would love to do a proper full sized quilt in this design. Not 2 inch blocks though - think that would drive me mad - lol !


This looked like this yesterday





Different fabric for borders. Once done I decided against it and off they came. This photo shows borders in process of being mitred. I like borders 2 better.



Will quilt this later and maybe use some scrap binding from this little tin.




I have a tin or box for everything. Bit of an obsession - lol !!



By the way if anyone wants those 5 stitchery blocks January to May please shout out - I will be delighted to part with them - I have enough quilty guilt about UFO's just now.



Jess is home - absolutely exhausted - physically and mentally. She has certainly had her eyes opened. She is still in the process of sorting out her many photos so once they're done I'll put a few on here. She had an amazing time and would love to go back. I can see her doing volunteer work in the future. We are relieved to have her back safe and sound. She is very emotional about all she's experienced and it is a bit of a culture shock coming back to her life I think. Here she is at the AIDS orphanage. She wanted to bring some of these children home she said.



Take care xxx

21 comments:

Gail said...

Very sweet little quilt. So much beautiful work. I was wondering if Jess was home yet only yesterday. Travel is very eye-opening, my daughter came home from France (at 16)thankful to not have been "Parisian road kill" (her words) and with that knowledge that she was an American. I can only imagine her attitude if she had been exposed to the suffering your Jess was. I expect it will make a lasting impression on her.

Gene Black said...

The new borders really are amazing on that quilt. Also an excellent use of cornerstones.
Ooh, I feel guilty about tossing out tins, but didn't think what I could do with them. I will start using some of them for scraps and opened jelly rolls. Thanks for the idea!!!

I am sure Jess learned a lot on her trip. I admire her.

Joyce said...

I can't believe those blocks are only two inches. Amazing!

*karendianne. said...

Amazing work. I have real respect for those small square in a square blocks so when I say amazing - I mean it! Excited to see all those yummy hexagons for the 3 color quilt. Ohhh!!! Exciting. You're so cute mentioning your tin 'obsession'. That's a lovely 'obsession' to have quite frankly. And as to Jess, she's a changed woman, yes? Must be quite something for you to witness.

Lovely post! *karendianne.

Bunny said...

Well I must say you are amazing working with all those little pieces of fabric. I admmire you.
Your daughter is also amazing. Such a wonderful post.

Carolyn said...

Your little quilt is stunning! Did you paper piece those tiny blocks? I'm so glad Jess is home, safe and sound. What stories she must have to tell!

Anonymous said...

I love the new border too! That mini is gorgeous! I'd be thrill to "help" you and take those blocks off your hands!:-))
I imagine we could all use a trip like Jess to open our eyes to whats around us.

claudia said...

I like border 2 as well. those little squares are so pretty. You must have the patience of a saint.

quilterfaye said...

You did say Shout"out"!! Just love to have the extras. Your quilt with the tiny blocks is amazing. How wonderful to have Jess home safe with her loving family.

Rhonda said...

Looks like you've been alittle busy. Love your bunnyhill project and the mini 2" quilt...wow!!!

country mouse said...

Holy cow!! Such tiny little perfect blocks, in that beautiful little quilt. Your projects look wonderful. Glad to hear Jess is home safe and sound, too. Hope you have a great week.

Jude said...

Hello, does the quilt have a name...I'm looking for a pattern for a quilt to do for my first grandchild...obviously, I'd have to make it bigger than 2in squares..
So glad your daughter 'enjoyed' her expedition, I can well believe it would be a leveller and huge experience. I'm sure you're very proud of her.. can't wait to see some photos..

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow you've been busy!

Those 2" blocks are amazing!

Chookyblue...... said...

such fiddle small blocks.........it looks fantastic........well done.........

A Time for Stitching said...

You've been so busy and got some great work done.

Glad Jess is back safe and welll and look forward to seeing more of her photos.
Teresa x

Teresa said...

Welcome home Jess!!!! I know you are so proud of her and happy she is safely home.

Your little quilt is very cute. I have gotten interested in making minature quilts and this looks like a fun one to try.

sewkalico said...

yay!! She's home! Now you can relax again. Yes, I recognise that fabric!! I see it every day as it's on the African Ladies that you made me! (which hangs in our living room.) Love your 2 inch blocks - stunning!
Your hexagons are lovely too. You are a busy one!!

julieQ said...

Such tiny blocks, I really love little quilts, and yours is so beautiful.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Glad Jess is back safe and sound. What a wonderful experience. I love the new border you put on your leftover square in a square blocks - they are just toooo cute!

Jan said...

Your tiny little blocks are just precious---you did a wonderful job! I like the newest borders!

Libby said...

The mini quilt is so adorable! Great use of those blocks.