Wednesday 24 February 2010

What I've been doing

Firstly thanks to all for your lovely words on Jess's trip. I'm afraid she had a very tearful goodbye from me. I tried not to weep but it is like asking the sun not to set - that's how I am. I must say though I was not the only one so that made me feel better - lol ! Jess has been in touch by text and email and is having a fantastic trip although in her last message she said since visiting the AIDS orphanage she cannot stop crying - bless. She is like me in that respect. I will post photos when she returns for anyone who would like to see them.


I have been keeping busy - not so much sewing but lots of cleaning and re-organising. I am in the process of making new cushions for our living room but don't feel like doing them today. I finally got round to putting this little quilt up on the wall.



It has been done for months and had just been folded up and moved around. Because it was creased I pinned it to the carpet and gave it a good soaking with a water spray and left it to dry and it did the trick. It is now flat as a pancake :-) It is a Bareroots pattern called written in Thread.


The Chinese coins quilt I half started and then changed my mind about now looks like this.





I have border fabric ordered for this and have bought some funky flowery polar fleece to back it with so hopefully that will get done soon and another UFO off the list. I think I will give this to Jess to keep in her car in case she ever needs it.

And this week I fell in love . . . . .with a quilt from the latest Quilters Newsletter.


It's this one


Gorgeous, gorgeous !! This one is made mainly in 1800's repro fabrics which are quite hard to get hold of here. I have a few but not many. Although I really want to make this I want to do it with fabrics from my stash. So I plan to loosely follow the colourway with what I have. Of course I could not rest until I made a sample block




I really did not want to start another big quilt but resistance was futile - lol !! We all have no willpower . . . .



A few ladies have asked me where the pattern for the Mariners Compass came from. As these ladies were showing as no-reply I will answer here. It is a 2 part project from Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine - Vol15 nos 3 and 4.


And finally the raffle quilt finally got to Canada to the lovely Kathy. It took it's sweet time getting there ( over 10 weeks I think ) but is now in it's new home - thank goodness.

I think that's all for now - I am flitting about like a fly - lol !!

Take care xxx










27 comments:

Gail said...

You have been busy! I like the little quilt, might have to do that one-I do NOt need another project on my list! I also like the Chinese coins very bright and happy.

Gina said...

Love the not Chinese Coins quilt
I'm glad that Jess got to Africa Ok and that she's still in one piece

Love and hugs Gina xxx

*karendianne. said...

Oh gosh Andrea, then you have to go and show this Hawaii Sunset quilt. This block is too, too amazingly cute and beautiful and tantalizing and gosh... I'd agree. Resistance is futile. You're just g.o.n.e. with this one. I'd be for SURE.

Rhonda said...

Wow! I love your wallhanging and the project you're working on now. I don't remember if I commented on your Mariner's Compass before but it is fan-tab-U-beaut-lus....lol....I've just started a paper pieced on, my first, and I'm loving the process.

My Life and Quilting said...

Hi Andrea... I Love the quilt "Wrien in Thread"... You did a great job... The other quilts are bright and happy as the other women had said... Love the blog ... Keep stiching ... :)

julieQ said...

I love that quilt in Quilter's Newsletter...it was one of the diva's...We have a couple right here at our local quilt shop. Your stitchery is so nice, glad you got it all in one piece.

maria said...

Your quilts look great. The Hawaii sunset quilt looks beautiful, a lot of work though.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I always cry too -even though I"m not really sad about the kids going somewhere, just miss them! Your Bare Roots quilt is too cute! I love it. But the Hawaiian Sunset quilt has been on my to do list for a year now! I saw it last year at a show in Chicago and I've loved it ever since then. I was going to try and recreate it, and then when I saw it in the magazine I was so excited I didn't have to figure out sizes! Do you need any fabrics for it from the US? I'd be willing to send you some. I'm going to email you my pics from the quilt from the show too since you love it so much.

Teresa said...

Andrea, we have the same taste!
I have that magazine sitting open at the same page! I can't start anything new til I've finished something, but...

Danetta said...

You do such beautiful work! While I liked the Chinese coin version, I LOVE what you have made it into and so will your daughter

Tamera said...

WOW! That block is amazing!

heather said...

I like your former Chinese Coins quilt. The sample block for your new quilt is wonderful.

A said...

I love the colours in the Chinese coin quilt and that block looks great, I wouldn't be brave enough to try something with that many pieces!

claudia said...

I love the Chinese Coins quilt. Very bright and happy!
That newest quilt you have decided to start looks like a fun one...your fingers are going to be busy with htat one!

sewkalico said...

Those orphanages are heartbreaking. I visited one to deliver Sonnja's bears recently. It is lovely to know your Jess is as caring and lovely as you are.
Another new project??? You must be missing her LOL

Jan said...

Your quilts are all so very nice! I just finished Written in Thread, too---I had some problems with the directions were written, but muddled through and was pleased with the outcome! Yours turned out great!

Unknown said...

I am glad that Jess is ok. That Hawaian quilt will be beautiful.

Andee said...

I also loved this one in QN....now that I have seen your block I REALLY want to do this one too! Might have to do a block this weekend!

Linda in Calif. said...

Revamping the Chinese coin quilt was a great idea. It is so much cuter now. Yep, that Hawaiian Sunset quilt can really cool, I can see why you are making it. You will really enjoy it. Glad Jess is having a good time.
Linda in Calif.

Teresa said...

Everything looks great - thanks for sharing the pictures.

country mouse said...

Wow, you have been busy. I just love the wallhanging...too cute. Your other projects are just beautiful too. Keep up the great work. Also thank you for the sweet comment you left me on my blog...and yes, you sure do recognize that pin cushion ;oD its one of my favorites!! The toppers and pin cushion look great together, I think :oD

Anonymous said...

Hia Andrea thanks for visiting
Love the Bareroots quilt. Thanks for the tip- the hounds had sat on the Spring String quilt before I got a pic of it so it was creased.


Oooo very pretty one you've just started.

Floss said...

Love what you Chinese coins turned into. with the fleese backing it will be so cozy.

Meggie said...

I love all your quilting endeavours! You are just my cup of tea!
glad Jess is safe. I think I would be too emotional for things like that. I considered sitting the little dying babies, whose mothers could not be there daily, but knew I would be a hindrance more then a help.

Anonymous said...

I'm a crier too Andrea *smile*. The AIDS orphanages would have me crying for months. Your quilts, as always, are gorgeous. Looking forward to watching you make the Hawaii Sunset quilt. toni xxx

Quilter Kathy said...

I love all the projects you have there...especially the stitchery!
Look forward to seeing the Africa photos...it's so hard when they fly away, but she'll be home soon.
You are accomplishing so much in the meantime :)

Lynda said...

The QN quilt is gorgeous - I was tempted too! I have a collection of Vistorian reproduction fabrics, and a company called Webfabrics (www.webfabrics.net) have a lot of those, and are a great company to deal with. Their prices aren't bad either. Have a look.