Wednesday 14 October 2009

By the skin of my teeth

Well you all know where I've been and what I've been doing - lol !!

Happy 21st birthday Danny !







All done just in the nick of time. Guess I will always be a last-minute sort of quilter.. Finished the binding just last night and gave him his quilt a little while ago. The smile on Danny's face made it all worthwhile - he wrapped himself in it and declared it the cuddliest thing ever.





For a bit of fun I quilted his and Jess's (DD) names in it and they both had a search for them. This is the Peaches and Dreams pattern kindly provided free from Judy Laquidara







The borders were just made from random sized leftovers from the blocks. Because I was running short of time I did them differently to how I normally attach borders. In golfing language I believe there is a term " hit and hope" - well that's how these borders went on - sewn a load of strips together and just whacked them on hoping they'd fit. Sort of "piece and pray" - lol ! Turned out fine.. So glad it's finished. The quilt is actually blue and green although my photos are showing it all blue. Feel quite a pang giving it away.

Our little quilt group has a small exhibition on Saturday and I am making a few things for the sales table. Only little items but I need to get moving.

Take care !











35 comments:

A Time for Stitching said...

What a great quilt and he sure does look pleased with it! It's an ideal design for a male and still beautiful without being patterned or flowery. Well done!

Laura Jane said...

FABULOUS!!!!

What a special treat for him, I bet he'll treasure it.

I love a border like that, not hard, but it doesn't have to be.

Great work, happy quilt fairing.

Pam said...

Happy Birthday Danny -- 21 !! That's a big one :))

The quilt is wonderful!!!! I am a bit of a last minute quilter as well - sewing the label on the day of the wedding -LOL.

black bear cabin said...

its a beautiful quilt, and it looks like he LOVES it :) great colors!!!

Gail said...

It's so beautiful, Andrea! I think the smile tells it all and he loves it, you wouldn't?

Elsie Montgomery said...

That smile is super! Of course, so is the quilt. It looks like a perfect gift for your son.

Mama Spark said...

Fantastic!! Where is this pattern from?? I would love to make one too.

Carolyn said...

Andrea, it's gorgeous! Love the colors and the happy smile on his face. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt, the fabrics and pattern are perfect for a guy!

Fiona said...

Love it! What great colours and the design is just right for a 'male' quilt.

May Britt said...

This is really a beautiful quilt, no wonder he loves it. I went to Judys blog and have printed the pattern now. It's a great pattern using scraps :)

Tina said...

What a great quilt! He looks like he loves it! Truly a labor of love!

Floss said...

What a great quilt for a young man

simplestitches said...

what a lovely quilt....your son sure looks pleased with it! Happy 21st!
cheers Julz

Lorraine said...

WOW.....fab quilt! well done - I love the "piece and pray" approach! LOL ....and it looks like Danny really appreciates the gift!

Ali Honey said...

Oh, I love it - what a beauty!

What a perfect 21st gift. Enjoy it Danny.

claudia said...

That quilt turned out great! You are my hero at quilt making!

Unknown said...

This quilt is just wonderful! He certainly looks like he loves it and will for a long time to come.

Gene Black said...

I love the quilt and Danny's smile was certainly worth it.

I am putting the binding on one for a birthday present too. I hope I can finish tomorrow nite so it will be ready to give!

Jeanne said...

It's a gorgeous quilt for a handsome son! Nice work.

Vicki W said...

That turned out great! Now I need to get my teal version done.

loulee said...

It's a fantastic quilt. Looks like it will be loved for a long time.

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous and he's obviously totally smitten with it - what better praise could you have :o)

Deb said...

I cannot believe you got it done!! you did not sleep did you!! it is gorgeous and it looks like he really loves it!! great work

sewkalico said...

Lucky boy!!!

jovaliquilts said...

What a wonderful Happy 21 quilt! Quilting the kids' names in is a great touch.

Quilter Kathy said...

This is gorgeous! I just love it! Now I want to make this quilt pattern too! That striped fabric block really makes the whole quilt sing...well done!

Comfort Cove Designs said...

ahhh yes, I see he is just a tad bit happy about his quilt!!! :) What a beautiful quilt! I love the design!!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a softy! Looks wonderful...both the quilt and the grin on his face!! :o)

Unknown said...

It is gorgeous and I think Danny thinks so too.

Chookyblue...... said...

your quilt looks great and one happy boy.........

Meggie said...

What a totally gorgeous quilt!!

Teresa said...

Great quilt...love the vibrant blues.

Anne Ida said...

Happy birthday, Danny! What a lovely quilt - so vibrant, and the colours are perfect for a man's quilt!

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

The quilt turned out wonderful very vibrant colors! Wonderful present.