Tuesday 26 October 2010

UFO done !


Here is my first UFO finished and quilted on my new machine.



Close-up





And backed with polar fleece.


After a lot of trial and error I have found 3 quilting threads that the machine likes. So I am now in the process of building up a collection of different colours. Once I've adjusted the tension on my sample piece and got the stitch to my liking the machine quilts FAST. I have to remember to stop and breathe I get that carried away - lol. So far all I've done is a meandering stitch but I hope to branch out and try something different. But I like the quilting to be quite open to retain the snuggly feel and a lot of machine quilting patterns seem to be too dense for my liking. More practise is called for. I have also quilted another UFO and am onto binding stage. This is also quilted the same way - perhaps that will go on my tombstone - She meandered her way through life - lol !!
Last week I heard a rumour that quilting fabrics are going to become rarer due to the high price of the cotton crops ( thats what I told DH anyway :-x ) so I had a little shop. Quite a lot here as some of those are 3 yard pieces. And so my fabric diet is well and truly over - didn't last long !!

And another birthday has come and gone. Thanks for the cake Jess !
One last thing - I have a busy day planned - there were 765 hexies in that pile. One from each fabric in my stash. The closest was Floss with 750. I will get busy with my SSCS gift and make something as well for Floss to be sent out the same time - about a month away. Best get cracking on those.....
Take care xxx

16 comments:

Gene Black said...

When I heard about the problems with this years cotton crop, my first words were "oh no, that will probably affect fabric prices"

You made some lovely choices.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

You did a fabulous job! What a pretty quilt.

I've heard rumours about cotton fabric going up too...I hope they are wrong as I don't think quilting businesses will survive if they do that...It's tough time for them all as it is.

Winona said...

Andrea, gorgeous quilt as always. I love your new fabric. Your daughter did a great job on your birthday cake. Happy belated birthday. I hate to think about fabric prices getting even higher. I am glad I have a pretty good stash. Have a good day.

Gina said...

Love the fabrics in your quilt. The quilting is great.

I love the excuse you made for more shopping. I'll have to try that.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

claudia said...

Happy belated birthday! Great cake from your daughter! It looks delicious!
I guess I had better get out there and get me some fabric. Not like I really need it! But I may go on a sewing spree and run out, then it would cost me more to replenish! I'm putting on my shopping shoes!
Congratulations Floss for guessing the closest amout. Can't wait to see what your prize is. It will be great, I know that much!

Wendy said...

Your quilt is lovely.

Floss said...

The guilt looks great; it’s nice when quilting goes fast. I also find a lot of quilting patterns to dense for my liking.
Happy Birthday, I think Jess did a great job on the cake.
And I'm excited about winning the guess.

Gail said...

I like the quilt, very much and as for meandering...I think it is a nice way to travel through life!

Ali Honey said...

Great finish there. Belated Happy Birthday. I love your cake!

Oh Dear, fabric is expensive enough noe for us here in NZ!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your quilting on the quilt looks wonderful! Shhhh - don't give them any more ideas about raising prices!!! :)

Jindi's Cottage said...

Congratulations on your first quilt on your new machine (really must get mine out of the box!)...looks great.
Do you mind sharing which threads you tried and which ones she liked?
Congrats to Floss on guessing the number...hexagons seem to have a rabbit like quality when it comes to their numbers...they just keep multiplying!
And...
Happy happy birthday...well done Jess on the cake.

country mouse said...

Congrats on the finish. Your quilt is just lovely, wonderful colors!

wonderwoman said...

happy birthday - your quilting looks lovely - i end up hand quilting as my machine is not a happy quilter!!!

x

Mad about Craft said...

I've heard about cotton prices going up too! also there is the problem of VAT going up in January so I'm also stock piling a little bit too!

teri said...

I have followed your lovely blog for quite some time. You are so much fun and I just wanted to wish you happy birthday - and many more years meandering! I am glad you are off your fabric diet and congrats on completing a lovely UFO!

annie patch said...

I've only just found your blog, Andrea, but I'll keep coming back to read more! Your quilts are gorgeous!

Well done for finishing the UFO - my hubby despairs of mine!