I've been cutting up loads of scraps into 2.5 inch squares which came in handy later on as you will see. My huge bag was overflowing and basically I was sick of lugging it about from one place to another as it doesn't have a proper home.
Then I saw Amanda-Jean is doing a quiltalong. Read about it here. Make a nine patch a day for as long as it takes to make a lovely quilt. Sounds like a plan - so here are my first few.
Of course a new project needs a new storage box and I just happened to have the very thing. I bought this a couple of weeks ago.
I love boxes and tins and am always buying them much to my families - oh God-not another box attitude...... But as this proves I always find a use for them -ha !
About a year ago I attempted some scrappy stars - you know the sort you layer the fabrics up and cut through the lot. Jiggle wiggle - re-sew and you have some lovely blocks. Well the ones I tried were awful - looked worse than the cats breakfast and all went in the bin. I had been wanting to do some more for a while and I recently bought a magazine with some in - instructions courtesy of Buggy Barn Quilts. Took me an age to decide on colours and in the end I went with blue and brown - 2 of my favouritest colours. Here are my pieces re-jigged and ready to sew.
At this point I was nervous - lol ! Would this lot end up in the bin too ? I told Jason I was doing some hard-quilting and to leave me in peace - ha ! Anyway because I had something this time that I hadn't the previous one - namely proper instructions - it all went rather well. Here are some all done and trimmed to size.
Once I knew what I was doing I really enjoyed it. In the instructions there was a comment about chain-piecing when you got more confident with the method. No way thought I. But later on I did a bit and was doing great until I wwas halfway through the last section and realised things had gone a bit pear-shaped and I had gone wrong somewhere. Armed with my ripper I attempted to see where I had gone astray. It was a bit like sudoku ( which I hate ) as I tried to make sure every block had 9 different fabrics. Eventually I was back on track.
I have gotten further than this but haven't took photos yet. I can see myself doing more of these scrappy stars ( or crappy stars as Jess has christened them - thanks Jess xx )
With some of the scraps I've been playing with I've been making these. I need 145 of these for what I have in mind. They are 2 inches finished and use up some very little scraps nicely.
I have been very lax lately in replying to comments - just don't seem to have the time like I used to since Jason has started this business but please know that I value everyones time visiting my blog whether you leave a comment or not xx