Saturday 2 May 2009

Saturday again...

Seems like as much as I try I can't seem to update more than once a week - usually on a Saturday. So here I go again. What I've been up to....


I've been cutting up loads of scraps into 2.5 inch squares which came in handy later on as you will see. My huge bag was overflowing and basically I was sick of lugging it about from one place to another as it doesn't have a proper home.




Then I saw Amanda-Jean is doing a quiltalong. Read about it here. Make a nine patch a day for as long as it takes to make a lovely quilt. Sounds like a plan - so here are my first few.


Of course a new project needs a new storage box and I just happened to have the very thing. I bought this a couple of weeks ago.





I love boxes and tins and am always buying them much to my families - oh God-not another box attitude...... But as this proves I always find a use for them -ha !


About a year ago I attempted some scrappy stars - you know the sort you layer the fabrics up and cut through the lot. Jiggle wiggle - re-sew and you have some lovely blocks. Well the ones I tried were awful - looked worse than the cats breakfast and all went in the bin. I had been wanting to do some more for a while and I recently bought a magazine with some in - instructions courtesy of Buggy Barn Quilts. Took me an age to decide on colours and in the end I went with blue and brown - 2 of my favouritest colours. Here are my pieces re-jigged and ready to sew.





At this point I was nervous - lol ! Would this lot end up in the bin too ? I told Jason I was doing some hard-quilting and to leave me in peace - ha ! Anyway because I had something this time that I hadn't the previous one - namely proper instructions - it all went rather well. Here are some all done and trimmed to size.




Once I knew what I was doing I really enjoyed it. In the instructions there was a comment about chain-piecing when you got more confident with the method. No way thought I. But later on I did a bit and was doing great until I wwas halfway through the last section and realised things had gone a bit pear-shaped and I had gone wrong somewhere. Armed with my ripper I attempted to see where I had gone astray. It was a bit like sudoku ( which I hate ) as I tried to make sure every block had 9 different fabrics. Eventually I was back on track.


I have gotten further than this but haven't took photos yet. I can see myself doing more of these scrappy stars ( or crappy stars as Jess has christened them - thanks Jess xx )

With some of the scraps I've been playing with I've been making these. I need 145 of these for what I have in mind. They are 2 inches finished and use up some very little scraps nicely.



I have been very lax lately in replying to comments - just don't seem to have the time like I used to since Jason has started this business but please know that I value everyones time visiting my blog whether you leave a comment or not xx

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Hallo !!
I love to come here and see your blog .I find inspiration and learn about doing sew´s . Thanks for it !!
Hugs from Chile , Vero

Gail said...

Wow, you have been very busy! I love your work, it's always so well done. I am somewhat intimidated by the scrappy stuff, do you think much about whether fabrics look well together or just pick some at random? I too love boxes and tins, my family buys them for me (as well as glass things. I think glass is a miracle!)

Anonymous said...

I love boxes and containers too! Have to sneak them in past hubby!:-))) Those star blocks look great and love the tiny blocks you're working on!

meggie said...

Everyone is a little time poor these days it seems. Don't worry though, blogging is for fun, not obligation.
As always I love all your projects!

willywagtail said...

Yes, my blocks ended in the bin too! It looks like one needs instructions to get the right scrappy look. Cherrie

Quilter Kathy said...

I would rather you be quilting than responding to blog comments!
I made a star quilt the same idea as yours last year and I loved it! It sure was trickey to figure out at first, but turned out nice...and your blocks are great!
And I love your little square in a square blocks...they are my all time favorite block!

Betsy said...

wow, when you post you really show some fabulous things.
I too am in the quilt along. I love your stars. I would love to try to make some and I like your little squares. They are cute.

Teresa said...

I am with you in liking a special box for my projects. I love the one you have for this one. I find boxes like that fairly reasonable in price at the Tuesday Morning stores in my town.

Your stars and tiny blocks look great to me!

Fiona said...

I think you are either born a box person or not - I can't resist them either and my Dad is just the same. I love the tiny 2" blocks - don't think I'd be able to make one, let alone 145!

Unknown said...

I love those tiny, tiny blocks you are making, and I think the scrappy stars are coming along nicely.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Those stars are very nice! Love the minis too.

Wonder what it is that makes a person a collector of containers? My mom saved every jar and tissue box she ever owned. I'm not quite that bad, but the potential is there. My mother-in-law throws away everything. Mmmmm...

Helen in the UK said...

The container is cute! LOVE the buggy barn stars. I've always fancied having a go at those. Can you tell me which Magazine you found the instruction in?

Rhonda said...

Hi there!!! Everthing you're doing looks very interesting. You make me look like I'm standing still on the sewing scene.........LOL Take care.

loulee said...

You're not neglecting your blog!! You're embracing your craft. Very nicely too by the look of it.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Fabulous choppy stars. I've always been fascinated with the Buggy Barn's method and was pleased to find the article you are talking about in a recent magazine.

Pam said...

I like the idea of the nine patch quilt along. Just to use up all the various scraps. Lately I have been cutting all my scraps into 2 1/2 inch strips - since that is jelly roll size - and 5 inch squares - like a charm pack.

I think I have that scrappy star pattern from the Buggy Barn. That shop is fairly near to me and on my "one day" list.

You don't need to reply to all the comments - I find it hard to do as well - don't feel badly if you don't. I don't think blogging should be hard work - it should be fun. Have a good week.

sewkalico said...

I love, love love those stars in those colours!!! I have the instructions (somewhere) and have always wanted to do them, but I shall probably just admire yours instead :-)))))

Calidore said...

What a fantastic way to use up all those 2.5 inch squares. I have so many of them and they really do need using. Love the stars and that box!!! It's stunning and I'm with you - a girl can't have too many boxes for projects. They are as essential as the projects..vbg. Have a lovely weekend/week.

black bear cabin said...

love the crappy...er...scrappy stars :)

those are some teeny tiny blocks...cant wait to see what they become!

Liz said...

What a sweet little box/bag. Too cute. Lovely 'crappy' stars. I like that colour scheme too.
You are very patient with the little blocks. They look amazing and so do the nine patch blocks. But then all your quilts are lovely.