Thursday 6 March 2008

Brother saves the day !


Can you see me dancing ?? Yes - it's done ! I love it but I will NEVER attempt something so last minute again ! Famous last words - lol ! Finished the binding just now and have added an extra feature that I will explain in a minute.


The top went together quick as a flash and even the mitred borders were fine. Decided to go with 2 colours of border fabric to make a feature of the mitres. This could have all gone pear-shaped as I am no expert at mitres. My second attempt and not as scary as I thought. Onto the quilting. Can you feel a story coming on ? lol !! Picked a thread to quilt with - sort of a dark grey to blend in and started free motion quilting on my Janome machine. Ten minutes in and the thread had snapped about 6 times. I had put a brand new quilting needle in so knew it wasn't that. Took off foot-plate and de-fluffed. Re-threaded and carried on. Still the same , snap, snap bl***y snap. I perservered for a while getting more and more cheesed off. I thought it was the thread as it was not absolute best quality but was all I had in the right colour.


To prove a point I changed machines to my little Brother which is neither a quilting machine ( as my Janome is ) or as expensive and you know what ? it quilted a dream. No thread snapping at all. It is only a small machine really and I struggled a bit quilting in the middle but got there in the end. I am no longer friends with my Janome and have put it's cover on in disgust - think it has tension probs. I am thinking of trading it in as I have never been that impressed with it really. It is great for piecing and walking foot quilting but for free - motion quilting it is rubbish.


Anyway onto my extra feature for this quilt. If you have been following this tale you will know it is for my nephew to travel with at the weekend. He will be spending don't know how many hours by coach and needs to travel light. So, my friend Elaine suggested this to me on Tuesday at our quilting group. The pictures are a bit dark but should be clickable to make them bigger.


Make 2 straps out of the leftover fleece that backs the quilt.




Sew them on the back like this.


Fold like this.





Roll up.





Flip over the straps and voila





How cool is that ?

Chris can shove this in the bottom of his bag when he's not using it. Or maybe he can strap it to the bottom of his rucksack.


I will give this to him tomorrow with my good wishes and hope he has a brilliant time in Germany. I may drop a few hints about finding a patchwork shop but am not really optimistic. Can't really see a 15yo lad in a quilt shop somehow - lol !!
Take care x

42 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Made By Claire said...

What a good idea...
It has turned out great for a last minute job. I bet he will love it. I hope that he has a good time.

Misty said...

Congratulations! You really persevered to get that quilt done in time and the straps on the back are a great idea. I am sure he will love it; it turned out so well.

I've heard that the thread breaking is a tension problem. If you can adjust the upper thread tension, maybe the problem will improve?

Anne Ida said...

The quilt looks great, Andrea! Congratulations on a great finish! I'm sure your nephew will love it! And those straps are such a great idea!! I'll have to keep those in mind ;o) Sorry your Janome wasn't playing nice, though! And great thing the Brother saved the day! Take care!

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

I think you did a wonderful job on that quilt. It looks great! The colours are very well suited for a boy his age. You should feel proud.

Vicki W said...

What a wonderful quilt! The straps on the back is genius!

Cathi said...

Great quilt! And I love those straps, will have to do that for picnic blankets or kids quilts in the future!!

Unknown said...

Now that's what I call down to the wire, wow I don't know if I could have done it in such a short amount of time. It looks terrific and I'm sure he'll appreciate it on those cold mornings.

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a great idea to put straps on the back! Great job Jane.

Jeanne said...

It turned just great and I love the idea of the straps on the back. What a great idea. The two color borders are very effective, too. Great job, Andrea.

Darcie said...

Trials turned to triumphs! Like childbirth...you will forget all of the pain. Perhaps Janome needs a little servicing? Thank heavens for a back-up machine.

I LOVE your idea and tutorial for making the wrap-up. How genius!!!

Unknown said...

Absolutely brilliant - and I love the different coloured borders

Paula said...

I don't think the quilt would have been great, had it not been for the mitered border in two colors. Awesome....and just perfect for a young guy. I love the handles to carry it with too! Great thinking!

Marilyn Robertson said...

What a fantastic quilt! Love the way the straps work. Your nephew will be so pleased, and will think of you when he uses it.

Pam said...

It turned out great!! I love the two colours in the border and the mitred corners - it really sets it off nicely. And the two straps for rolling and carrying -- brilliant!!

Did you use batting as well as the fleece backing or just the fleece backing? Great idea the fleece, I haven't backed a quilt with fleece yet but I have one that would be good to back with fleece.

I'm sure your nephew would be more than happy to search out quilt shops for you ---LOL!!!

loulee said...

Fantastic, great finish. See we told you you could do it!

Great idea with the straps.

Lisa Boyer said...

Totally LURRRRRVE that border! Great color choice and your mitering looks great! Makes the quilt a lot more exciting. The straps are a fantastic idea--I've seen pillow quilts, but never straps like this. He will totally love it...congrats!

Floss said...

Fantastic, love the extra feature, and that you finished it in time.

country mouse said...

Congrats on the finsh! It looks great, and those straps are such a cool idea :cD I'm sure he'll love it!

Deb (vtquilter) said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and love your tutorials. I am going to try the quilt as you go as soon as I can get back into sewing (4 week old baby boy). Love the qult for your nephew, I am sure he will love it!

sewkalico said...

Oh Well done! You did a great job!! Love the mitred corners, te straps, the railfence... Brill! I'm sure he will love it¬

Unknown said...

Hurray, one great quilt after what 2 or 3 days of sewing, you are a master. I bet he will love the straps and the quilt :) When you use fleece for backing to you also use batting?

Quilting Pirate said...

WHOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the border, it just adds so much to it! Great (and amazingly fast) job! I bet he is just going to LOVE it!!

Emily Cole said...

It turned out beautifully! Great job on the mitres! I love the two color border too.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

You have really done a great job, and in record time as well...fantastic idea in regards to the folding up....

Ali Honey said...

I'm so glad to see you got finished in time with a brilliant quilt as a result. He will love it! The roll up idea is great too.

The colours worked splendidly!

Rose Johnston said...

Great finish!!! Love the straps!! He will love the quilt, what a special Auntie you are!!!

~Bren~ said...

It will feel like a touch of home to Chris I am sure. I love rail fence too and it has such great movement! Beautiful job...glad your brother saved the day for you!!!!
Love the header!

Belvie said...

Lovely quilt and those straps are such a good idea!

Shar said...

Fantastic job! Love the borders and great idea with the straps. Talk about smokin needles you go girl!

Shar

Unknown said...

A great quilt ( I love the border, it adds dimension to the top I think) and the straps are just genius. If you need some addresses of quilt shops in Germany, just ask! Take care.

tami said...

The straps on the back are a great idea especially for traveling. Great quilt, I love rail fence too.

Patti said...

Great job Andrea - this is marvelous! I bet he took it with him this morning with joy and pride. I love the rail fence block for the very same reason - best way I know to make an interesting quilt quickly.

julieQ said...

I sew on a Brother all the time! Your quilt is absolutely wonderful, just right for sure!

Helen in the UK said...

Love this quilt and the clever way you did the borders. The extra straps is an awesome idea - turns it into easy storeage or a great pillow. What teenager could ask for more :)

Rebel said...

Famous last words indeed! While making my first big quilt I kept saying "never again!" and of course.... I've got three quilts in progress at the moment. =P

That quilt is GORGEOUS!! Your mitered corners are impressive indeed... and I love the straps on the back - so practical.

He's going to be the warmest person on that train. =)

Val said...

This is just great. I am a just beginning to learn to quilt but am enjoying it very much.

meggie said...

That is bl**dy fantastic!!!
I love the colours, & it is just perfect for a boy, & what a brilliant idea to put the straps on the back.

Nicole & Phil said...

Great Quilt...don't get your hopes up about finding quilt shops in Germany...they are few and far between sadly!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

VERY cool idea about the straps!
The quilt turned out great...love the mitered borders! That was a real adrenaline rush to finish by the deadline, eh?!?!

Rose Marie said...

Love the quilt and the effect of the two colours in the border. A perfect quilt for travelling to snuggle under.

NANCY From the Shore said...

SO beautiful!!You SHOULD start selling them:) I love it!
I bet he is happy!LOL.
:::found this site from a friend:::
:)
I have NO idea how to quilt,sew,etc...HOW i WISH i did:(
Maybe i'll do a sewing or quilting class:)