Wednesday 3 October 2007

What's a girl to do . . . .

. . . . .when she's got the Monday morning blues ?? Start a new quilt of course ;-)



OK I know it's Wednesday but I did start this on Monday morning. Grey, cold damp start to the week - all alone with a mountain of washing ( even though all I seemed to do all weekend was washing, folding clothes and ironing ). I was feeling bleugh so decided to cheer myself up. I had just the thing too from when I sorted out my quilt mags a few weeks ago. This pattern comes from Quilters Newsletter and has been calling to me for a while. Jason and I only have one big quilt for our bed and although I haven't succumbed yet and put it on top of our duvet ( I will be airing it this weekend probably ) I quite fancy a change. So this one will be ours !! All I seem to have done lately is make quilts and then part with them.



In the magazine they have made the quilt with 18oo's repros and it is stunning. I have a few such fabrics but not many so mine will be a bit more random. I have starting pulling fabrics I think will work and have been making a lovely mess of those nice tidy drawers !! Still all in a good cause - lol !! The block finishes at 8 inches so plenty of big pieces to hand quilt in. The pattern calls for making the half-square triangles a bit bigger and then trimming them to size. Really accurate but a pain in the bum to do in my opinion ! I am going to make a load and then take them to my Tuesday night quilting group and trim them all there. If that's all I take I will have to get them done !



Here are the first few.






I want a lot more colours in this and will get some more cut later. The pattern is called Lady of the Lake.

Nothing really else to tell. Alfies 9 patch quilt is awaiting binding and will be delivered next week. Can't wait for a cuddle - will try and get photos ! I've done some knitting and enjoying that too.

Oh yes - before I forget - the winner of the UFO was Gudrun. Please email with your address Gudrun and I will get this to you. Many thanks for taking this out of my hands - lol !!

33 comments:

Unknown said...

Those blocks are lovely Andrea - way too many triangles for me though :o)

Doodlebug Gail said...

Lovely pattern and what a great start you've made already. Keep it up and keep us updated with photos. I'm with Anne on the "way too many triangles" comment. :o)

sewkalico said...

No, I love triangles!!! (Hate trimming them, but do love the way they look when there are lots of them) It's going to be really lovely. Hope you feel less 'bleugh' soon!

Cathi said...

Gorgeous blocks, but then I am partial to repros! Working on an ocean wave quilt, triangles are my friends, lol! Better be after piecing approximately elevendy thousand of them...

I am finally starting to keep quilts for myself, good for you doing the same...though I have yet to have a bed quilt I made on one of my beds!

May Britt said...

The blocks are so beautiful. I have this pattern on my to do list too. I'm wondering about making it in japaneese fabrics..........sometimes.

Joyce said...

It's going to be amazing but what a lot of triangles!

Rose Marie said...

Those blocks look great and just keep at the triangles as they just might bog you down. If they don't let me know your secret as I have a UFO with tons of triangles in it and it is half way done.

swooze said...

Love your colors. It will be gorgeous.

Teresa said...

Lovely blocks Andrea!
Although I think they might be a bit intricate for me, they will make a nice quilt for your bed though.

loulee said...

Those blocks look great. Go on, spoil yourself. Make it extra special.

Hedgehog said...

I just love this pattern! Good idea to make one for yourself, too. I need to do that! I started to make this pattern once upon a time, but was nervous about setting something on point - now I'm not afraid of that anymore, so I should do it! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Unknown said...

Hurray, I am the winner :)
Your blocks are so accurate, and the fabrics are lovely, I have given away from me too many quilts I have done.

Fiona said...

Looks lovely - you can never have too many triangles!

meggie said...

Lovely blocks. I have been thinking about making a quilt using that block.

~Bren~ said...

The quilt will be stunning. I love the colors!!

Pam said...

I love those scrappy kind of quilts. That is a great pattern. And I agree that cutting all those half square triangle blocks is going to be a big pain!! Nothing like a new quilt to cheer you up :)))

Vicki W said...

I love that pattern. Your quilt is going ot look great!

Sarah Nopp said...

Fantastic Idea!
I probably have 5 days of work to do and only 2 days to finish it in, so should be working on that overtime a bit.
But no, I decided to make a pretty for myself instead LOL

Ali Honey said...

That's going to be lovely. I particularly like the green fabric. If you need to you can take a break from it at some stage and come back to it refreshed. Good luck, I think you'll get a pleasing result.

LuĂ­sa Silva said...

I love love o the lake pattern. You will have beautiful and cosy quilt to warm your winter.

corry said...

What a lovely blocks, that will be a stunning quilt when it's finished!

Rose Johnston said...

Great quilt!!! love this!! ur blocks look fantastic, great job!!!

Floss said...

The pattern look nice, I like the colours you are working with. It looks like a lot of triangles.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's going to be great Andrea!
I know just what you mean about starting a new project to cheer yourself up!

Darcie said...

It's GORGEOUS!

Jeanne said...

Andrea, I love the pattern and your blocks are a wonderful beginning. It will be fun for you to keep a quilt this time. ;-)

Helen in the UK said...

Love the pattern you've chosen. Look forward to seeing your quilt develop :)

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Those blocks are gorgeous...I think you may have just helped me to figure out the next..next quilt to work on.Have lots of leftover schwe-schwe fabrics trying to use up...before February when I am scheduled to return to the US. Thanks for sharing. Love them!Colleen

keryn said...

That quilt is seriously beautiful, and triangles are just another shape, don't be put off by them. I agree the trimming will be the worst part, which is why I love the Easy Angle rulers, you don't need to do anything else but nub the 'ears' off.
I hope it ends up on your bed quickly and you enjoy the process, it's going to be gorgeous.

Nicole & Phil said...

I love the lady of the lake pattern. I have never done one, but what a great way to use up stash!
Looking forward to seeing progress pictures as is gets larger!

Libby said...

I adore this pattern!! I always have - it's a long time resident on my "projects to start" list! Looks great so far, can't wait to see your progress...

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the one in the magazine is beautiful! But I LOVE your blocks so far! Very nice!

Rebel said...

That's a gorgeous quilt... I've seen it in a magazine too... but it looks a bit different from the picture you have. It's really tempting to me, but I don't think I could handle all those tiny little triangles.